Various samurai clans struggled for power during the Kamakura and Ashikaga shogunates. Zen Buddhism spread among the samurai in the 13th century and helped to shape their standards of conduct, particularly overcoming the fear of death and killing, but among the general populace Pure Land Buddhism was favored.
1) The samurai were an elite class of warriors from which country?
2) If a samurai was fighting an enemy, which of the following weapons might he use?
(a) bow and arrow (b)sword (c) lance (d) all of the above
3) The Marvel comic book character Silver Samurai is known for his sharp clashes with what well-known hero?
4) The samurai followed a code of conduct called____________.
5) According to this code, the samurai had to remain loyal to his_______________.
6) The word ‘samurai’ means one who_________________.
7) Which creature symbolized power and often decorated a samurai’s armor?
8) Some samurai were women. (True/False)
9) Which hairstyle was popular among samurai?
(a) pompadour (b)topknot (c) pigtails (d) mullet
10) When not in battle, a samurai might wear________________.
11) The samurai’s headgear was used as inspiration for a helmet worn by which famous movie character?
12) Which group of people did the samurai fight during the 13th century?
(1) Japan (2) d (3) Wolverine (4) Bushido (5) master (6) serves (7) dragon (8) True (9) topknot (10) a kimono (11) Darth Vader (12) Mongols