Travelers provide a very valuable source of descriptive historical evidence for study for future generations. They make the reconstruction of history possible. Some of the most stunning accounts of ancient India are provided by visiting foreigners. Check out this quiz to learn about travelers and their work done.
1) Name the only Persian traveler who visited the Vijayanagara kingdom.
2) Which Persian scholar came to India along with Mahumd of Ghazni and wrote the book’ Tahqiq-i-Hind?
3) He was a French physician and traveler and the personal physician of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb for 12 years during his stay in India. Can you name this traveler?
4) Which book was written by Marco Polo that gives an account of the economic history of India?
5) Name the Russian traveler who had visited the Bahmani Sultanate.
6) Fernao Nunes was a chronicler and a horse trader. A large number of kings paid tribute to him. Can you tell from which country Fernao Nunes did actually belong to?
7) In which Indian state, St. Thomas who was an apostle spread Christianity?
8) Which foreign traveler came during the reign of Jalaluddin in Bengal?
9) Name two travelers came during the reign of King Akbar?
10) Name the traveler who came through Tashkent and Swat Valley and also visited the court of Harshavardhana.
11) Name the Moroccan traveler who was appointed as a Qadi or Judge by Muhammad Bin Tughlaq.
12) Can you identify this traveler who visited India during the rule of Devraya I of Sangam dynasty of Vijayanagar Empire?
(1) Abdur Razzaq (2) Al-Beruni (3) Francois Bernier (4) ‘The Book of Sir Marco Polo’ (5) Afnasy Nikitin (6) Portugal (7) Kerala (8) Cheng-Hi (9) Anthony Monserrate and Ralph Fitch (10) Hiuen Tsang (China) (11) Ibn Battuta (12) Nicolo Conti (Italy)