It seems nearly impossible to escape plastic in our everyday lives, doesn’t it? Welcome to the Plastics Quiz. This is your chance to see how much you know about plastic-a thing which you use almost everyday.
1) Name the world’s first fully synthetic plastic invented in New York in 1907 by Leo Baekeland.
2) The word plastic is derived from the Greek word plastikos. What is the meaning of plastikos?
3) What is the name given to the first man-made plastic?
4) Polyethylene, polypropylene, polystyrene and polyvinyl chloride are what types of plastic?
5) Who introduced Nylon, which was the first purely synthetic fiber at the 1939 World’s Fair in New York City?
6) Which plastic is used to laminate kitchen worktops?
7) HDPE is a tough plastic used for making___________________.
8) In which film was, Dustin Hoffman pestered at a party by Mr. McGuire, who told him ‘I Just want to say one word to you, just one word ‘plastics’?
9) A person who has had a rhinoplasty has undergone plastic surgery on what part of his body?
10) What is the name of the first plastic based creative toy, introduced in 1951, that features die-cut vinyl images meant to be mounted on a laminated bard?
11) In which year credit and debit cards as plastic money was introduced?
12) What is the name given to a collection of marine debris mostly comprising plastic in the North Pacific Ocean?
(1) Bakelite (2) ‘capable of being shaped or molded’ (3) Parkesine (4) Thermoplastics (5) DuPont Corporation (6) Melamine (7) Toys (8) The Graduate (9) Nose (10) Colorforms (11) 1969 (12) The Great Pacific Garbage Patch