1) Nikola Tesla was born on July 10th 1856 at midnight during a lightning storm. The midwife saw the storm as an omen and insisted the child would be born of darkness. Tesla’s mother replied by saying, ‘No. He will be a child of light.’ If they make a movie of Tesla’s life, they need to put that line in.
2) Although Wilhelm Roentgen invented the X-Ray machine, Tesla discovered the existence of x-rays.
3) Tesla was a germaphobe and usually wore gloves to avoid touching a person’s skin. Tesla said this fear came from working with bacteria in his experiments. He wrote, ‘If you would only watch of a few minutes the horrible creatures, you would never again drink a drop of unboiled or unsterilized water.
4) He had a romance with a French actress. She gave him a handkerchief which he kept for the rest of his life. However, Tesla never married and died a virgin.
5) Tesla could speak Latin, Italian, Hungarian, German, French, English, Czech and Serbo-Croatian.
6) He was friends with the writer, Mark Twain.
7) He was TIME Magazine’s Man of the Year in 1931.
8) Tesla hated overweight women. He once saw his secretary wearing a dress that didn’t match her figure and demanded that she go home and change out of her ‘monstrosity of a gown.’
9) He was obsessed with the number 3 and any number that divided into 3. For example, Tesla needed to stack 18 napkins before he could eat. When Tesla stayed at hotels, he demanded to sleep in a room that was divisible by 3 and asked for 18 towels for his room.
10) In a 1909 interview, Tesla stated ‘it will soon be possible to transmit wireless messages all over the and individual can carry and operate his own apparatus. ‘Tesla was correct as the first mobile phone was made in 1973. Wi-fi was invented in 1991. There is even a statue of Tesla in San Francisco that doubles as a Wi-Fi spot. In 1926, he said ‘through television and telephony we shall see and hear one another as perfectly as though we were fact-to-face despite intervening distances of thousands of miles’. This also came true as Skype was created in 2003 and Facetime became a reality in 2010.