In Ancient Rome, professional poets were generally sponsored by patrons, wealthy supporters including nobility and military officials. For instance, Gaius Cilnius Maecenas, friend to Caesar Augustus, was an important patron for the Augustan poets, including both Horace and Virgil.
1) Which renowned scholar, musician and poet came to be known as the Father of Urdu Language and Father of Qawwali?
2) Who are the only two Indian poet-writers to find a place of pride in the Shakespeare Memorial at Stratford upon Avon?
3) A play by which Indian poet was staged by 200 hapless orphans of a ghetto in Warsaw in Nazi-occupied Poland, three weeks before they were marched to their deaths?
4) What gift was made by Marathi poet Mangesh Padgaonkar to the Shakespeare Memorial, the British town of Stratford upon Avon in March 2009?
5) What was the theme of a short poem written by King of Rock, Elvis Presley that fetched a handsome $20,000 in an auction in March 2009?
6) Name the 2009 Hollywood film based on the last year of poet John Keats’ life.
7) Whose poem was translated into more language than any other British poets, apart from Shakespeare?
8) What are the 14 line poems often made up of 8 stanzas and 6 lines?
9) Who was the blind poet who dictated to his daughter to write the Epic poems-Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained?
10) Which poet’s work was ‘Book of Non-sense’, who popularized the humourous 5 line poems called ‘Limericks’?
11) Who wrote the collection of poems titled ‘Pukhraj’?
12) Which writer of children’s books and poems won the US Children’s Poet Laureate Award in 2008?
(1) Amir Khusrau (2) Rabindranath Tagore and Mangesh Padgaonkar (3) Rabindranath Tagore (4) Marathi translation of 3 of Shakespeare’s play: The Tempest, Romeo & Juliet and Julius Caesar (5) The poem was about a dead robin (6) Bright Star directed by Jane Campion (7) Robert Burns (8) Sonnets (9) John Milton (10) Edward Lear (11) Gulzar (12) 1930 born American writer Mary-Ann Hoberman. Her book ‘A House is a House for Me’ won the American Book Award in 1983